Every research associate post I see advertised now has in large or small print, the requirement for the applicant to have a publishing record, preferably in three or four star journals.  Now when you submit to a journal or a conference, you need to state your affiliation with a university, but if you haven’t got a post at a university, then you don’t have an affiliation, and you look less credible.

I’ve just submitted a paper for peer review at a conference where the uploading page required the name of my affliated university so I’ve put the name of the university where I completed my PhD and did the research that the paper is based on.  But technically, I have no affiliation until I have a research associate post.

How do I get an research post without a publication when I can’t get a publication without an affiliation and I can’t have an affiliation without a post?


Tags: , ,

About PosPosDoc

Researching police learning. Researched reflective performance and its use in videos for learning STEM subjects. Researched older people online Researched engaged relationships between public sector clients and consultants on IT projects Know about public sector, project management, consultants, IT, and use of social media

3 responses to “Affiliations”

  1. mymindbursts says :

    As an end of year review I am pulling together the blogs I follow on Come and join us! And keep blogging too. All the best, Jonathan.

  2. Minh Tran (@mqtran) says :

    Hey Liz,

    I think that you can submit your PhD work using your OU affiliation. I am sure the OU and your supervisors would prefer it as well. As for getting a job without publications; I don’t think that’s the necessarily true that you need a strong one, unless you’re applying to the top universities. People hiring postdocs (especially in the UK) should be aware of the constraints of a 3 year PhD.

    Apart from that, I’m working with two researchers here who don’t even have PhDs, so you have a leg up on them already! I’m sure you’ll find something soon. If not then you can still be affiliated with a university simply by teaching for them as an associate lecturer.

    Good luck with the job hunt! I’ll be starting mine again in 6 months, hehe.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: